Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blueberry Muffins...From Scratch

One of the best weekend treats. I can remember knowing my mother was downstairs making breakfast and HOPING she was baking muffins! When I got my wish...thirty minutes later...still warm from the oven...Mama would make her way upstairs with tray full of blueberry muffins...always cut in half with a pat of butter in between. You could see that butter oozing out of the bottom and over the sides...that was the muffin I got first...of course...and it was usually served with OJ and a side of bacon.

Still amazes me that a single muffin can bring back a memory that vivid. My brother, father and I would swarm the tray to eat this buttery-sweet goodness. I hope my family will feel the same about these...

I tried my hand at making muffins...not too bad if you ask me...a little crumbly, but tasted great.
Blueberry Muffins

Muffin
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup blueberries
----------
Crumb Topping
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400ºF and grease muffin tins with spray or butter. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. In a measuring cup place vegetable oil and egg and add milk to fill the cup. Mix everything together and then fold in the blueberries. Fill tins and top with crumb mixture.

Crumb Mixture...Mix with a fork 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Bake for 25 minutes.

Note: The muffins tasted great but they didn't really stick together, they crumbled. So, if there is a way to make them...more dense...I'd go that route. I'm not much of a baker so I don't know how to correct this....just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...