Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A TEN Course Meal: By My Design


Oh to OVERindulge! Rich and I went with a group to Hot Springs for a little R&R...after a weekend of lake house relaxing and betting at the track (Oaklawn), our last stop was The Arlington Hotel. They have a brunch that is…well…gi-normous! Since I have been once before, I was prepared and ready to tackle a meal I am not soon to forget.

It rarely gets better than a serve-yourself, brunch buffet. You can create your meal exactly the way you want it. There is a true art to managing your way through a buffet. My father is a lover of this method of eating and has passed his talent down to me.
Before you start. There are a few things to remember.
1.     This is your meal, make it exactly the way you want it.
2.     Make sure you get the lay of the land before you start piling food on your plate.
3.     Don’t fill up on what you don’t absolutely have to have. Save room for what  you couldn’t possible leave sitting on your plate…believe me there will be plenty.
4.     This is not a rushed event. Sit back, relax and enjoy the food!

Okay, now that the rules are sets, I’ll take you through my 10 course meal. Yes, 10 Course Meal!
Course 1: Peel ‘em and Eat ‘em Shrimp.
A light start…I chose 5 shrimp with cocktail sauce.
Course 2: Raw Oysters
Three plump raw oysters with lemon, Wooster (Worcestershire) and cocktail sauce on top of crackers
Course 3: Salad
This is one of my favorites. Spinach, beets, mushrooms, bacon, gorgonzola dressing.
Course 4: Salmon
Smoked Salmon with egg, red onion and lemon (really wished for some capers, but could not find them)
Course 5: Eggs Benedict
I ended up not eating the English muffin, it was too soggy, but the egg, Canadian bacon and hollandaise were wonderful.
Course 6: Chicken Fried Steak
I couldn’t pass this up. Chicken Fried steak with red skinned mashed potatoes. I don’t particularly like white gravy, so I left it off and added the potatoes.
Course 7: Catfish and Wild Rice
Fried catfish with wild rice and tartar sauce
Course 8: Roast Beef 
Perfectly carved red meat with au jois and green beans
Course 9: DONUTS
Lightles, Browns, Playfords and Wiles 
The Arlington actually makes the donuts right there while you are watching! Incredible...an absolute must. I only ate one bite of each one (okay, maybe two)
Course 10: Cheese
Ending with cheese is always a good idea...much lighter than the donut.

I hope everyone gets to experience a buffet like this. And a quick apology to the crew that had to watch me eat 10 plates! Same time, same place next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...