Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Laundry Detergent

 Laundry Detergent Ingredients




















I made my own laundry detergent…aka…I want a Subaru and I'm obsessed with Pinterest.
On an effort to cutback on some of the grocery bills in order to purchase the dream car…the Outback…I was looking for the more "doable" ways to cut costs. Scouring Pinterest and with the nudge of my husband's brother's wife…detergent sounded like a good place to start. I mean…spend $25 for a year supply and if it doesn't work just throw it out, right? So far, this stuff is great. I am not a homemaker and I'm not a hippie but this just makes good sense.

The Recipe
4 lb box of Borax
4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
3 lb 7 oz box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
3 bars of Ivory Soap
3 lb container of Oxi Clean
1 container Purex Crystals

Grate Ivory soap on the smallest grate size. Dump everything into a big container (I used the orange Home Depot 5lb bucket, and it was about 1/2 full when done). I used the Purex bottle to fill with homemade detergent that is now in the cabinet over the washing machine. Use the caps middle line as your measuring device. 2 Tablespoons per load. SIMPLE.

Original recipe that I pinned came from this website (much better photos and descriptions here): http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-and-better-diy-laundry-detergent/

Kandi's Liquid Detergent
What really got me started thinking about detergent was from Kandi (my husband's brother's wife...my sister-in-law). She started making her own because she found her children's skin was sensitive to the "store-bought" detergent and with 4 boys (3 children, 1 husband) she does a LOT of laundry!

The Recipe
Grate 1 bar of Ivory soap or Fels Naptha soup
Melt in water in medium saucepan.
Once dissolved, add to 5 gallon bucket.
Add 1 cup borax
Add 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Mix and fill 5 gallon bucket rest of the way with hot water. Put in laundry jugs when hot.
Add 5 – 10 drops essential oil per laundry jug (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...