Monday, October 8, 2012

Penny's Chicken Chili

This is one you have to try. It's just good...and perfect for the fall weather we are having. My sister-in-law Penny served this one weekend and I couldn't stop thinking about how good it was so I had to steal her recipe! Thanks Penny...even Rich eats it!

Penny's Chicken Chili

Penny's Chicken Chili
2 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup water
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can kidney beans
1 can white northern beans
1 can black eyed peas
8 oz Velveeta
Spices to taste: cumin, red pepper flakes, chipotle chile pepper, salt and pepper

I use a big skillet/pot to make this, so choose a good one dish pot to start. Cook chicken breasts in oil until cooked through. I like to get the chicken really brown to add extra flavor. Remove chicken and add onions and garlic to saute. Scrape the brown bits from the skillet. Just before the garlic starts to burn, add a cup of water and boil to make sure the onions cook through. (THE RICH NOTE: Since Rich doesn't eat onions...ever...until now...I make sure that onions are completely cooked and I use my emulsifier to liquify them). Dump three cans of beans in now onion broth, chunk chicken, add spices and simmer on low. Once you think it's done and ready to serve, stir in velveeta until completely melted. It's ready and delicious.

I've used all kinds of beans, so pick what you like. Any combo will work. I've used Hot Chili beans, Ranch Style Beans, Kidney, Northern, Black and Black eyed peas. It's the velveeta and chipotle seasoning that make this amazing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...