Friday, December 10, 2010

Mrs. Paul Cooks Dinner Tonight

It was FFY (Fend for Yourself) night again. Rich had drinks with the boys, so I was on my own. Phew! I have been avoiding the grocery store for a while. It's just a few weeks to Christmas and I know my ice box will be FILLED with necessary ingredients for the upcoming feast, and I only want to shop once for that. So, I opened the freezer. Bananas, lots of them. Note to self: make banana bread. Salmon, had that last night, lamb, the night before. Tilapia, promising. Then in the WAY back I saw the green box, a warmth came over me. YES, Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks. Tilapia, you loose.

As a child there was that rare, rare occasion that my mother announced, "Mrs. Paul is cooking dinner tonight". OH THE JOY. This meant a few amazing things.
1. We could eat in the breakfast room, not the dining room.
2. No forks necessary. Fingers were completely acceptable.
3. Ketchup was allowed.
Fish Sticks before Christmas
This may not mean much to others, but to me it was such a treat. Who doesn't like finger food? And ketchup, this was never to be seen on our dining room table! NO LABELS ON THE TABLE. There are two meals that my mother actually approves of where ketchup is the accompanying sauce: Mrs. Paul's fish sticks and Salmon Croquettes (and it just hit me, that we NEVER ate those in the dining room!)

So last night I grabbed a paper plate (no dishes to wash), mixed ketchup, horseradish and lemon in a bowl, took 8 fish sticks out of the oven, sat cross-legged on my sofa and ate with my fingers. Mrs. Paul hasn't changed since I was 8. She is still a wonderful cook and brought back a wonderful mother/daughter memory. It was a good night.

2 comments:

  1. Does this mean I can have drinks with the boys more often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes dear. I like FFY night. Just not EVERY night.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...