Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rack of Lamb is EASY

Lamb with Wild Rice and Edamame
I wanted to try something different that looked gourmet, so I thought, what's fancier than rack of lamb. It just sounds upscale. When Rich came home to see what I was cooking, he set the dining room table. Even he knew this was special. And that is the story of the first rack of lamb I made. Tonight...4 or 5 rack of lambs later...Rich walks in, on the phone with his mother, kisses me, then Webb and tells his mother. "Alright, looks like I'm having rack of lamb tonight!" He hasn't fallen over himself to set the table...yet. Rich now knows, this is a pretty simple task once you get over the fact that it's "rack of lamb".
1 Rack of Lamb, 1 1/2 lbs, 8 bones
Salt and Pepper
2 to 3 cloves garlic
2-3 sprigs rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
Seriously. DO NOT BE AFRAID. Yes, it cost a little bit more than you would normally pay for meat, but worth it. I went to Costco and got a 1.57lb rack of lamb for $21.27. And this will feed 4. I've never been one to go on about how cheap things are, but this is NOT an expensive meal. We're talking less than $6 per person.

Preparing the Meat  Score the fat (in diagonals) of lamb with sharp knife. Flip the rack over and remove the membrane. This is a light film that holds the bones together. Best way to take it off...use a spoon to get underneath then pull straight up with a paper towel. Believe me, this is the easiest way to do it. Generally coat lamb with salt, pepper and garlic and rub in with olive oil. Let sit out for at least two hours before cooking.

Cook the Rack Preheat oven to 400º. Place the lamb rack, bone side down (fat side up). This will keep the meat moist. You want the fat to drip through the meat, which gives it great flavor. Wrap the rib bones in foil so that they don’t burn. Who knew that's why they did that? Insert a meat thermometer into the CENTER of the meat. (I failed to do this last night, I missed center by an inch of so) Cook for 7 minutes on 400º then reduce heat to 300º and cook until internal temperature is 125º.

The Fix Since I placed the thermometer incorrectly, I saw that some of my meat was raw. I went ahead and cut my servings. Two bones a person. I then seared each side in a really hot oiled pan for about 30 seconds. DONE!
Simple, easy and delish. TRY IT, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...