Sunday, February 13, 2011

Plantation Toast

Plantation Toast, Mashed Potatoes, Po'Mans
I had forgotten about Plantation Toast until last night. The smell coming from my kitchen of baking buttered bread brought back memories of waking up at my Godmother's. My Godmother lives on a plantation...hence the name Plantation Toast. The same smell would wake me up as a child...I would creep downstairs because I was always the first one up...and my nose would take me straight to the kitchen where I would sit on a stool next to the oven and wait for everyone else to get up and have breakfast. I thought that was just the smell of the Plantation...and it was/is... But last night, my house was filled with the same buttery aroma...amazing how a smell can take you back.

The reason this toast is so marvelous is that you can pair it with a runny sauce (eggs) or au jus and the toast stays crispy. It's Friday night and nothing but leftover Po'Man's Tenderloin (top of the round...roast beef). Rich and I have both eaten this at least 4 times this week...and about to be a 5th. The only thing I could think to serve was good ol' SOS. (I'm not going to spell it out...I'm going to keep my mother guessing).

Rich was hungry so I had to make it snappy.... I buttered both sides of the bread, stuck it in the oven around at 250ยบ. Let the bread get crisp all the way through (15 - 20 minutes...which give you time to get everything else done.) I sliced the beef as thin as I could, made au jois (the package stuff), made patties out of mashed potatoes and reheated them in a hot skillet. To finish...I layered toast, potatoes, soaked meat and top with au jus. Amazing stuff! Rich was quite impressed...especially since this was meal #5 from the same meat. I'll keep Plantation Toast in mind for many more recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...