Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ah, The Scallop

Scallops
Scallops are my favorite seafood. Easy to cook. Easy to prepare and one of the best tastes you’ll ever encounter.
Perfect for a side or main dish and always a decadent addition to a meal. Flavor delicate, texture silky and smooth. It doesn’t get better than that.

I had never ordered scallops when I was eating out UNTIL...my 32nd birthday (and I didn't really order it then). My husband took me to The Hunt Phelan in Memphis for a to-die-for, 7-Course Tasting menu. Our favorite was scallops and corn (course #3). I’ve been hooked from that moment.

I immediately had to recreate that small plate that sent me to food heaven. I researched, I studied, I agonized over exactly how to cook the scallop. I usually tackle any cooking task that way—research and read different recipes, then take all of that information and come up with my own version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seared Scallops and Shrimp with Corn and Bacon in Truffle Oil
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scallops and Shrimp
1-2 Scallops for each person
2-3 Shrimp, peeled and deveined for each person
Corn and Bacon with Truffle Oil
4 ears of white corn (or 2 cans)
3 slices of bacon, cubed small
1 tablespoon white truffle oil
Salt and Pepper

The Corn and Bacon Shuck and clean corn. Cut kernels off the cob and put in a pot with boiling water and salt. Cook until done and drain water. Using scissors, (it’s easier) cut bacon into four long strips then snip strips into small cubes. Using a skillet large enough for the scallops, fry bacon on medium heat until crisp. Add bacon to drained corn leaving some grease in skillet. Add truffle oil to corn and bacon. Taste corn for seasoning and add salt, pepper and more truffle oil if necessary.
The Scallops and Shrimp Remove side muscle from scallops, rinse with cold water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Heat skillet with bacon grease on medium-high heat. Place scallop with tongs into heated pan. DO NOT move the scallop once you have placed it in the pan. Sear scallops for 1-½ minutes on each side. Your scallops are DONE, and perfectly cooked. I PROMISE. Transfer from skillet to a plate. Tent with another plate until time to serve. 
Salt and Pepper shrimp and cook in same grease until done, about 3 minutes.
On large plate, place one scallop and two shrimp on one side with corn and bacon on the other. Anyone you serve this to will be impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...