Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Salad

Grilled Salmon Spinach salad.
I believe "the salad" has always been my favorite part of a meal, even when I was younger. There's something about crisp, cold lettuce that burst in your mouth...especially if you have bacon and cheese with it. One of my standard meals out, as anyone who knows me can tell you, is a salad and french fries or a salad and an appetizer. There's just TOO much to choose from on a menu at a restaurant and I can never decide what to have. The method to my madness on dining out...I get my favorites right off (salad and a side) those are EASY to choose. Then I get a sampling of what everyone else at the table is having. This is one of my husbands pet peeves about me (although, now I think he thinks it's cute.)  and I get to have a bite of what everyone else is having, but I don't have to commit to that huge bowl of pasta or ginormous steak or that strange seafood surprise dish. I can simply sample them all.

Since salad is one of my favorites, I had to come up with a simple method for one at home. I have rules...no bought dressing. My father taught me how to make salad dressing and I've never looked back. (although mine is better). AND a good salad should have these three ingredients. Lettuce/greens (obviously) fruit, nut and cheese...throw in a protein, even better. Any combination will work, try them all! It's fun to see what will work. My go-to recipe....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Salad
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spinach
Sliced Strawberries
Toasted Pecans
Goat Cheese
Salt and Pepper
Red Wine Vinegar
Balsamic Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Layer and Toss Salt and Pepper two handfuls of spinach per person in a salad bowl. Very lightly drizzle your favorite honey onto the spinach. Toast crushed pecans on low in a dry skillet, watch them closely, they will burn quickly if  not watched. Dump nuts on top of honey, slice a few strawberries on top then top with crumbled goat cheese. When meal is ready and it's time to serve. Drizzle red wine vinegar over all (about 3 seconds), then drizzle balsamic vinegar over all (about 3 seconds), next drizzle good extra virgin olive oil (4 seconds). Toss all with two spoons. Scoop and serve.

Variations
Once you get the basics, it's easy to try different things. Top it with grilled salmon, flank steak or grilled chicken. Substitute pear with strawberries and blue cheese with goat or almonds with walnuts. Add raisins or craisins. To make a creamier dressing add one dollop of prepared ranch dressing (ok, it's the only dressing I buy, you can use it for SO many things...but it's never used FULL ON with my salads) or mayonnaise will do too, even a tablespoon of buttermilk if you have it will work. Ham with Cheddar and grapes. The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...