Friday, November 12, 2010

Ginger Chicken with Garlic Wild Rice

Ginger-Soy Chicken with Garlic Wild Rich
I had Chinese take out the other night and it got me thinking...why can't I do this at home? I know, the point of take out is so you don't have to cook, but I'm strange in the way that I truly enjoy cooking.

I mistakenly bought chicken tenders (in bulk) instead of chicken breasts and wasn't sure what I was going to do with my mis-chosen meat. I also had a piece of ginger that was soon to be a shriveled root. I needed to use both, so here's what I did.









------------------------------------------------------
Ginger Chicken with Garlic Wild Rice
------------------------------------------------------
1 Package of Chicken Tenders (equal to two chicken breasts)
Soy Sauce
2 Clove Garlic
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon

1 Teaspoon Ginger Root, grated
Red Pepper Flakes
1 4oz. Package Wild Rice
3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter2 Cups Chicken Stock
1/2 Cup White Wine
8 Asparagus Spears, cut in 4 pieces

Marinate chicken tenders and asparagus in a zip lock bag with soy sauce, 1 grated garlic clove, lemon juice, grated ginger and red pepper flakes (up to you on how hot you like it).

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter with remaining grated garlic clove. Once the garlic starts to sizzle add rice and stir for a minute or two. Add chicken stock and wine, bring to a boil. Cut heat to a simmer for 1 hour or until there is no more liquid (check after 40 minutes to be sure, every stove is different when simmering).

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in skillet. Once hot, add chicken and asparagus mixture. Cook on medium-high for 4 minutes (let the chicken stay in place so that you get good brown marks). Turn chicken, roll asparagus and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.

Plate food and add a few dashes of soy sauce on top of all. It's not exactly take out, but it doesn't taste all that bad either.

The Onion Addition: If you continue to read my blog, you will learn that my husband LOATHES onions, therefore, I am unable to cook with onions. IF you do not have an onion allergy or aversion, add onions, I'm sure it would be a great addition.

Possible Variation: Besides adding onions, I'd also like to try adding carrots, celery and peanuts in the marinated items.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...