Monday, January 10, 2011

My Mama's Football Chili

Mama's Football Chili.
Football is quite the "sport" in the South.

"Sport" usually signifies the actual act of a group joining together to form a team. It's different in the South. Yes, football is indeed a sport, but IN the South when you say Football the words sport and team change. When you are a fan...you are part of that sport/team, and being part of that means you have to cheer, wear the colors, do the dance, put on the lucky socks, don't wash the underwear (not allowed in my house!!) and above all BLEED your colors. If your from the South, know someone from the South or are a Yankee and THINK you know about the South...you understand that an allegiance to an SEC team is imperative.

My SEC story is twisted, and believe me, most aren't! I grew up in a divided household...my mother went to Ole Miss, my father went to Mississippi State. I was reared to be a Rebel, my older brother to be a Dawg. TWIST. My brother went to Ole Miss and I went to State (clearly the better school). As soon as I could attend a football game (Age 4), my family went to every Egg Bowl (Ole Miss vs Mississippi State). We would switch home team sides every year, but we went, as a family...a family divided!

Then, I got married and through a whole new dimension to the "sport". I married a die-hard Auburn fan (as if there is any other kind of Auburn fan?). And to make matters worse...I got married in October! "You CAN NOT get MARRIED or DIE during football season, you can't expect anyone to show up if you do." These words spoken by my grandfather, Hardy Lott, the BIGGEST Ole Miss fan you could ever meet. Not only did I get married during football season, but I chose the Ole Miss vs Auburn game as the date (October 27, 2007). Yes, my Grandfather rolled over in his grave, my brother was livid (Ole Miss lost) and my husband was mad that he wasn't at the game. But...we got married...had a baby and I am now hosting the party for the National Championship game! (Auburn vs Oregon...Tigers are better than Ducks any way you look at it).

So I bleed all colors. Maroon and White first, Blue and Orange second, and when those two aren't playing Ole Miss, I bleed Red and Blue (Mississippi is my home state, of course). I'm a different sort of fan than most, but it works for me.

On to the food...Every year on New Year's Day growing up, my father had a football party. Chris Cascio would come over and wire 5 TV's to play in the living room, a different game on each. EVERYONE would come over and my mother would make her "Football Chili". Since I now have my own family and we have invited everyone over, I too will make the "Football Chili". No matter what SEC team you pull for, there are some traditions that don't waver. The Chili is one of them.

My Mama's Football Chili
1 recipe makes enough for 8-10, double or triple for parties
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans beef broth
1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
1 can hot chili beans
1 small head cabbage, FINELY chopped
4-5 dashes of worcestershire
2-3 teaspoons garlic powder
salt and pepper
Toppers
Cheddar cheese
Diced onions
Frito's (the munch-a-munch-a kind, old school small ones)
Did you catch that secret ingredient? Mmm-hmmm, you read it right. Cabbage! The cabbage completely disintegrates and you will never, ever be able to tell that it was even there. I really hope Rich doesn't read this far into the blog...I may get him to taste this dish tonight, but if he knows about the cabbage, I'm afraid I've lost before I've begun.

Brown the meat and drain most of the fat. Add broth, tomato sauce, beans and cabbage and season with salt, pepper, garlic and wooster (worcestershire). Simmer for 30-45 minutes until cabbage disappears. Serve with cheese, onions and Frito's. A guaranteed hit for an SEC football party and easy, easy to make.

WAR EAGLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...