Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rib Tips at Tom's Bar B Q and Deli

Tom's Barbecue Rib Tips
Forget the damn ribs! Rib tips are my new favorite cut! This brings a whole new meaning to pork in my book. Not to say I'm a connoisseur on barbecue, but I DO live in Memphis which gives me a leg up on any non-Memphian.

I was watching the Food Network, as I do often, and saw "The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Grilled". Guy Fieri raved about Tom's Bar B Q Rib Tips. My next move was easy...Tom's...here I come.

So, what is a rib tip? It's the end of a spare rib. The spare rib is located on the side of the hog. If you've heard of St. Louis cut...it is the spare rib without the rib tip. (I only know this because Rich has studied up on all things pertaining to ribs...I actually can't wait for him to get home and try this!)

Rib tips are not the prettiest things to look at, but they sure are easier to eat...I mean you still have to get your hands messy and I probably still have some on my face, but the meat is on cartilage not bone...and much easier to suck on. (Sorry, Mama...but I was alone and yes, I did suck on the cartilage...it's THAT good!). I now want Rich to try this since he's mastered the spare rib...let's move to the tips..PLEASE! It seems the tips are well marbled, which gives them more flavor. I just learned about the marbled pork shoulder and how to render the fat so that it cooks the meat. This is the same concept. The fat in the tip holds all kinds of yummy, tasty goodness.

I put three awkward looking pieces of meat on my plate to try. After my portion was completely devoured, I found myself back in the kitchen and opening the tin foil for a few more pieces. I couldn't stop! I've never had a rib tip, so I can't really compare it to anything...I just know that Tom's Barbecue has sold me on this cut. It's not good that my office is one block from Tom's...I'm in trouble!

Rich's Thoughts: "Oh Man!" D-lish. There's a little heat there that I like too.

4 comments:

  1. That looks good... I've been wondering about that place. It looks pretty small. Is there seating available there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they have seating and it's usually pretty packed. I'll be glad to bring some BBQ home one night for you and Deidre or you and gang can come for lunch one weekday. Thanks for reading, JB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u


    Deli Bar

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty and some really great ideas!!! I love the platter the best, as I have a thing for platters! :)
    Thanks for sharing!


    Deli Bar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...