Sunday, January 30, 2011

Coffee Rubbed Steak

Rich brought New York strips home for supper. Any time we have steak on a weeknight...steak and eggs is a must the next morning. Knowing this, I wanted to try something a little different...so why not prepare for breakfast a little early? Last night, I rubbed the  meat with coffee grinds, a little chili powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. The result. REALLY GOOD! The flavor is not what you would think, it's not like you are drinking a cup a coffee, which is what I thought was going to happen, it's like you're having a great steak from a nice restaurant with a distinct taste that makes you go back again and again. (This may become the Playford secret rub on steaks...I'll have to play around with more seasoning, anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking mustard and ginger?? And definitely adding butter after it comes off the grill). I also want to note that the coffee probably helped me stay up for the movie after dinner...Rich was impressed I made it all the way through!
Then for breakfast this morning...with eggs and hollandaise...just as good. Try a new rub for something different. You'll be surprised.
The Coffee Rub
1/4 cup coffee grinds
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
salt and pepper
Steak and eggs...two days this week. Am I a lucky girl or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...