Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pork and Peaches

“Girls Night” at Beauty Shop in Memphis! There are four of us that try to have dinner once a month...without the husbands. We decided on a Midtown favorite...I've been to the Beauty Shop plenty, but never have I ordered the pork.

Pork Carnitas with Peaches and Blue Cheese
After dinner and a bottle of wine (or more). I requested a to-go box...strange because there were only two bites left, yes, just TWO bites. I wanted Rich to taste how good this was so I walked in the back door (I'm pretty sure I woke him up on the sofa) and made him try it right then and there. He was not as thrilled about it as I was, but I did sort of  force it on him. Three days later, I was in the kitchen having the best time trying to find out how to recreate this Beauty Shop masterpiece. Took me a few tries but I've finally gotten it!

Traditionally pork carnitas is served with classic Mexican accoutrements...cilantro, salsa, guacamole, tortillas and refried beans while the meat should be cooked in lard. (Don't worry, I didn't do that).

The Beauty Shop didn't go traditional...they took a wonderful rendering technique and put a new twist on the flavor...pork and peaches are great together! Instead of putting my cholestoral over the edge, (I was not about to pour a tub of Crisco on top of the meat! I used the pork's own fat. If you look at the cut of the shoulder, you will see that it is marbled and has lots of fat pockets...meaning it comes with it's own fat (lard), so why not use it? The idea is to melt (render) the fat so that it cooks the meat.
Pork Shoulder

This creation has the most tender meat with a hint of sweet and is one of the most comforting foods I’ve ever had. It's more of a weekend dish because it takes a few hours, but I'm telling you, it's worth it. I have no idea how the Beauty Shop prepares this dish and I hope I haven't just butchered it. This is my version of one of the best pork dishes I've eaten in Memphis. Now that's saying something!

Pork Carnitas with Caramelized Peaches and Blue Cheese
Pork
3lbs pork shoulder
1 cup red wine
1 can beef broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar

Peaches
3 peaches, cut in slices
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup balsamic
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper

Finishing Touches
12 flour tortillas
blue cheese, 1 tablespoon for each tortila
arugula
Shredded Pork
The Pork Cut pork shoulder in 2" thick strips (I bought mine at Costco and it came this way). Season with salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Place pork in dutch oven and add liquids: 1 can beef broth, 1 cup red wine, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 cup water (add more water to cover meat.) Bring everything to a boil then turn down to medium low and let cook for about 2-1/2 hours. Cooking this slow and low will ensure tender meat that will easily pull apart. The fat will render during this process. Turn heat up to medium high for about 30 to 45 minutes. You want the liquid to evaporate. My dutch oven is a little small, so I put half the meat and liquid into another pot so that there is one layer of meat in the pot. Reserve one cup of the liquid for later use. Continue to simmer the meat on medium high until all the liquid is gone. What you are left with is the rendered fat, brown sugar and balsamic which will brown the outside of each strip and get the caramelized crust that brings all the flavors together. Turn the meat so that each side gets an outer coating. Combine meat into one pot again. Using two forks, pull the meat apart. It will be very tender and very easy to do. Add the reserved one cup and cook on low until ready to serve.
Pork Carnitas Ready to Eat

The Peaches Poach peach slices in red wine, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and pepper until peaches are tender and mixture has reduced and thickened.

The Plating If you have a gas stove, turn the burner on and heat the tortilla until slightly crisp. (Or put the tortilla in the oven to get the same effect). Layer arugula, pork, peaches and crumbled cheese. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...